JAYNE WITH A WHY


My life has endured some drastic changes over the past 5yrs. I've moved continents, moved countries, lost my partner in life, lost my dogs, lost the bikes & no doubt about it, lost more than a few marbles along the way. I'm fucked up but valiantly fighting off sanity, which snaps at my heels at regular intervals. I swear a lot. Tell someone who cares.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

YOU CAN'T ALWAYS HOLD IT BACK

I've spent all of my life involved - one way or another - in the construction industry. I've seen some fascinating projects, in equally fascinating parts of the world. Having said that, the rapid growth of Dubai (in particular) never ceases to amaze me - an idea is thought/conjoured up & next thing you know, tenders are awarded & construction begins.
Advertisments for the mushroom farm of apartments appear way before the first shovel load of sand is moved, which I hasten to add, is normal practice. Angry purchasers have in recent months, vented their anger at the untimely delays with regard to physically moving into their new abodes. With this in mind, I thought I'd share the following set of photos.
As you can see, the retaining/diaphram wall hasn't done a very good job of holding back the sea. Excavations were down to basement level. Oooops!

In this shot, we can just see the tip of the crane poking out.




And in this final shot, we can see that all of the basement excavations have now been filled with - you guessed it - seawater!



There are going to be major arguments between the Contractor & the Engineer as to who is to blame for this little fiasco.......and more importantly, who is financially liable for it. While they fight, the buyers of the apartments are facing even lengthier delays before they can move in. I'd love to know what excuse the sales agent gives them!







Posted by Jayne :: 00:42 :: 28 Had Somminc To Say

Got Somminc To Say?

---------------oOo---------------