JAYNE WITH A WHY


My life has endured some drastic changes over the past 5yrs. I've moved continents, moved countries, lost my partner in life, lost my dogs, lost the bikes & no doubt about it, lost more than a few marbles along the way. I'm fucked up but valiantly fighting off sanity, which snaps at my heels at regular intervals. I swear a lot. Tell someone who cares.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

THE OLD LADY OF ABU DHABI SHOPPING MALLS



I live a stone's throw from Madinat Zayed Shopping Centre. It's well handy I can tell you, having such a variety of shops & a supermarket 2 minutes walk away.


Just recently, I've noticed how this obviously once proud shopping centre (one of the first 'malls' in Abu Dhabi I believe) has declined. It's as if the city has neglected the 'old lady' of malls, because there are new ones - so much bigger & better.









Brass hand rails have been wrenched from their bolt fixings. If this was in any African city mall, I could understand it - but here???




This is not only unsightly, it's also dangerous. This cable has been lying like this for weeks



The water feature is just another dumping ground for those that think rubbish bins are for decorative purposes only.







Yet another example of senseless vandalism.








I have no idea what this says, but I guarantee it doesn't say 'Welcome to Madinat Zayed Shopping Centre'





The majority of flower beds look like this - forlorn, neglected & rather sad......although there are a couple that look like this - such a lovely splash of colour amongst the drab surroundings.














I wonder what will become of the old lady of Abu Dhabi shopping malls? Will she slip further in decline, to end up as derelict 'has been' or will she end up being demolished in a few years time, to make way for either a newer/bigger/better mall or several towers of upmarket apartments?
I wonder.



Posted by Jayne :: 00:49 :: 17 Had Somminc To Say

Got Somminc To Say?

---------------oOo---------------