JAYNE WITH A WHY


My life has endured some drastic changes over the past 5yrs. I've moved continents, moved countries, lost my partner in life, lost my dogs, lost the bikes & no doubt about it, lost more than a few marbles along the way. I'm fucked up but valiantly fighting off sanity, which snaps at my heels at regular intervals. I swear a lot. Tell someone who cares.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL THE FAT LADY SINGS

Butterfly kisses
on your hair so fine
your pain echos
on every laughter line.

Each breath you take
a visible strain,
the oxygen mask
disguising your pain.

Bruised hands hold
translucent skin,
hiding the strength
you hold within.

So brave, Flowerpot
no flowing tears,
giving way to
untold fears..................

I wrote this last night. I couldn't finish it - maybe out of a secret fear that Grandma wouldn't get past the latest hurdle. We went across to the hospital - the dreaded wheelchair 'run' - in order for Grandma to have her dressing changed. The doc took one look at it, then beckoned me to see. The staples were being forced apart & the wound was so wide I could see the intestines trying to poke through. She had to go into surgery again, as fast as possible.

A few hours later, Grandma was back in ICU. We were allowed to spend a few minutes with her. She was in pain & battling to breathe - literally sucking as hard as she could on the oxygen mask. It was horrible to see. We left her in excellent hands & then came home to another restless night.

Fast forward to this morning: I make my way across the road & up to ICU. I'm greeted by a LGHOL, with colour in her cheeks & a welcoming smile. My heart lifts at the sight of her - she looks a hundred times better than last night!

"Ey up Flower" I say, "You're looking good"

"Hallo love" she replies, "I wish they'd hurry up & bring my cuppa tea! The doctor said I can have one & I'm bloody gasping!"

Our Flowerpot, our Little Grey Haired Old Lady has the fighting spirit of a hundred warlords. She's having some pretty staunch physiotherapy on her lungs & will be having another pint or two of the red stuff, but there's a good chance she'll be home again by Thursday.

Posted by Jayne :: 23:54 :: 8 Had Somminc To Say

Got Somminc To Say?

---------------oOo---------------