JAYNE WITH A WHY


My life has endured some drastic changes over the past 5yrs. I've moved continents, moved countries, lost my partner in life, lost my dogs, lost the bikes & no doubt about it, lost more than a few marbles along the way. I'm fucked up but valiantly fighting off sanity, which snaps at my heels at regular intervals. I swear a lot. Tell someone who cares.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

DO I LAUGH OR CRY?

On Monday night, Hubs & I decided that we would join friends M & M for the weekly Pub Quiz night. We didn't go last week, as we were both totally shattered from waiting for grandma to come out of surgery. So, this week, knowing Grandma was OK at home, we decided to go out. Ironically, the bloody quiz was cancelled, but a good evening was had by all.

We got home around 10 past midnight.

All the living room & kitchen lights were on, which was normal. I saw a small pinkish puddle on the floor, near the kitchen. I looked down the hall & saw a good 3 metre trail of pinky brownish puddles, which stopped at the doorway into grandma's bedroom.

I said "What the feck?" swiftly followed by a near panic shriek of "Grandma!!!!!!!!!"

I rushed to her room, switched on the light (her room was in darkness) & this little timid voice surfaced from under the duvet "It's OK, I'm alright."
"Why the hell didn't you phone me grandma? Your cellphone is here, so why didn't you phone???"
"Well..........there's nothing to worry about. I'm OK now"


Sixty seconds of intense questioning - where/why/why/how did this happen? was followed by a phone call to the surgeon, who not surprisingly didn't answer his phone. (He told us to ring him if there was a problem) Plan B, phone the hospital! Spoke to one of the nurses, who told me to bring grandma across to the Emergency room.

Despite the odd comments of "the nurses aren't as rough as you" & "ouch - can't you pull the sticky plaster off slowly?!" I managed to get the wound dressing partially off of Grandma's tummy, but just couldn't see where all the bloody coloured liquid was coming from. Her nightie was drenched in it. Her slippers were soaking in it. The hallway was decorated with it & all the while, this little grey haired old lady is telling me "don't worry, it's nothing, I'll be fine." My mind is screaming silently - Get off The Fecking Cross Woman - there's other buggers that need the wood! Christ, she does my head in sometimes!

Hubs has stayed in the background - his expression tells me he would merrily chew on a bunch of scorpions if it would stop his mother being a martyr. She's pushed him & us too far this time. It's been bad enough trying to get the bloody woman to see a doctor to begin with. For months she's complained about a pain in her tummy, but every time I told her I'd take her to see a doctor, the pain miraculously disappeared. Result? Major friggin surgery & a tumour in her colon, just for good measure.

I change grandma's nightie, get her another pair of slippers & ask Hubs to bring her downstairs, while I go & fetch the car. We eventually load her in & then drive about 600m to the emergency room. She's taken from the car by wheelchair & is made comfortable on a bed. The duty doc arrives within seconds & I explain to him that grandma has had half her colon removed a week ago.
"Half her colon?" he says, looking at me in a very puzzled way. I'm tempted to tell him that her waters have just broken & at 78yrs of age she's going to have a baby, but I repeat my point about the surgery. Many phone calls & 30 odd minutes later, another doctor appears - he knows grandma, as he partnered the surgeon when she had her op. He listens to my version of events, then says to grandma "Hello Amy, how are you?"
"I'm fine doctor - I don't know what all the fuss is about! There's only a little bit of blood, nothing to worry about........"
"That's my Amy - always happy & smiling" chirps the doc.

Always happy & smiling? Always fecking happy & smiling? Dear Lord, give me bloody strength!!!

The doc examines her & finally opens up a space between staples in the wound, applies pressure & about half a litre of bloody gunk comes out. He cleaned out as much as possible, plugged the hole with gauze, put a new dressing on & then told us we could take her home again.

It was nearly 2.30a.m.

Hubs took grandma up to the apartment, while I went & put the car away again. By the time I got back, she was a very subdued little grey haired old lady. She unfortunately had pushed Hubs' (Wrong Button!) once too often. There was no excuse* & she had no excuse for not ringing us. We would have come home immediately. The "I don't want to bother anyone/put anyone out/don't worry I'm fine" excuse has reached its limit. He is emotionally & physically drained. He cannot take any more episodes like this, because he'll crack completely & then we're all well & truly stuffed.

A brief conversation took place, between Hubs & Grandma.

"What's Sue's** address & phone number?"

"I don't know off-hand, somewhere in New Zealand.............she never gave me her phone number. Why?"

"Because grandma, the next time you even think of pulling a stunt like this, I'm going to get in touch with Sue. Then I'm going to put you on a plane to New Zealand."

(DEATHLY SILENCE)

"And then it's up to your daughter - whether she collects you from the airport or not."

I checked in on grandma & gave her something for pain, which she miraculously didn't have whilst being poked & prodded, but did after her bollocking. Hubs & I sat for a while, talked until exhaustion took over & finally hit the perch just after 3a.m.

Yesterday, I made arrangement with the hospital for an orderly to come & collect her in a wheelchair, because it's difficult & painful for grandma to climb in & out of the car. She was checked by her surgeon & was once again her chirpy self...............................until I shot her down in flames. The doctor asked if she'd been walking about much. "Yes - I've been walking around the apartment quite a bit" she chirped. I couldn't help myself! I called her a bloody liar. She'd shuffled at a snails pace from her bedroom to the kitchen & back again - once during the day. The doc accepts my version of events.
"Any pain Amy?" he asks.
"No, no pain at all" she gushes.
Sod me.................someone hold me back, cos I'm gonna smack her any minute I swear. She counts the bloody hours from one painkiller to the next!

*Very BIG Sigh*

Today has seen an improvement. Our LGHOL is walking a bit better, but is still clinging to her tummy like its going to drop off any second. At time of writing, I'm waiting for an orderly to come & collect her with a wheelchair again, as she has to go back & get her dressing changed. I will be with her & today I will thankfully have a bit more positive feedback for the doctor. I just hope the pathology results are in & that it's good news.

During the past couple of days, I've laughed & I've cried. I've laughed because even in times of crisis, I can usually see the funny side of things. (Yeah grandma, just because you've had surgery, doen't mean I can't chuck you off the balcony!) I've cried, out of pure frustration more than anything. We have a potentially life threatening situation on our hands. We don't know yet if grandma is going to recover nicely from this, or if the cancer has spread. We nursed Grandad (my father-by-law) through surgery to remove a brain tumour, radiation treatment & 3 months of gradual deterioration, until he died. I don't want to go through the same thing again. No child, no matter his or her age, wants to watch their parents suffer through illness. Grandma has lived with me as a permanent tea/coffee maker/household-fixture/fag-ash dropper since grandad died. She's a very big part of the family who simply cannot be replaced. Unlike grandad though, she does not want to accept help, without putting up a bloody fight first & sadly, I feel that will be her downfall. She's an incredibly generous woman & has always put others before herself. Just once though, she has to understand the importance of having to let herself be first - she just has do that now.


*She KNOWS how to use her cell phone, but in her own words "can't be bothered with it".
**My sister-by-law............Hubs' sister. Not liked for many reasons.

Posted by Jayne :: 01:47 :: 4 Had Somminc To Say

Got Somminc To Say?

---------------oOo---------------