JAYNE WITH A WHY


My life has endured some drastic changes over the past 5yrs. I've moved continents, moved countries, lost my partner in life, lost my dogs, lost the bikes & no doubt about it, lost more than a few marbles along the way. I'm fucked up but valiantly fighting off sanity, which snaps at my heels at regular intervals. I swear a lot. Tell someone who cares.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

LOOKING THROUGH DIFFERENT EYES : PART 2 KAYA JUNIOR'S EYES

Following on from my previous post, I asked my good friend kaya if her eldest daughter (hereafter known as Kaya Jnr) if she would like to come with me to the rehab centre. Kaya Jnr is a few months short of her 12th birthday. She's a bright cookie & way ahead of her years, even if I say so myself. (Quote her mother: "She's 11 going on 27" - but that's a whole different story in itself!)

Kaya Jnr does very well at school & admitted she's disappointed when her grades drop to around 90%. (OMG - thinking back to my high school days, when I'd be ecstatic to get 70%!) She enjoys reading & writing, so after agreeing to come with me, I asked her to put her experience in writing for me, in the form of an essay............(right kiddo, here's your homework.......and you thought school was finished?)

Over the months, I've seen volunteers come to the rehab centre & after the first visit, never return. I've heard the expression "It's too upsetting" said several times. Bearing this in mind, I explained in as honest terms as possible to Kaya Jnr, that some of the patients might be slightly shocking in appearance. If she found her visit upsetting & wanted to leave, she must tell me. In her 'essay' she wrote that she was scared initially, but calmed the moment she saw all the smiling faces.

Let me tell you something - this child - remember, she is still a child, was full of enthusiasm & for the time she spent with me, asked a constant stream of questions. It was difficult to answer most of the time, as the 'music therapy' class is really noisy, but I tried to reply to everything. Kaya Jnr never once found any of the patients appearance disturbing and without any prompting from me, named 'Gummi Bear' as her favourite!

Taken from a rough draft, this is the final paragraph of Kaya Jnr's essay, which she wrote for me:

'Leaving the ward after an hour, it left a thought in my mind: Many of us end the day complaining about how cruel and unfair life is. Seeing them (the Veggies) opened my eyes. Even though they were weaker than us, physically & mentally, they were stronger emotionally. They were grateful to what God gave them, unlike us who complain non-stop about not having something. Maybe life isn't so bad after all for us (all). It left an impression on my heart, which said we are all equal.'

Makes you think hey?



Posted by Jayne :: 01:56 :: 5 Had Somminc To Say

Got Somminc To Say?

---------------oOo---------------