JAYNE WITH A WHY


My life has endured some drastic changes over the past 5yrs. I've moved continents, moved countries, lost my partner in life, lost my dogs, lost the bikes & no doubt about it, lost more than a few marbles along the way. I'm fucked up but valiantly fighting off sanity, which snaps at my heels at regular intervals. I swear a lot. Tell someone who cares.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

A SHINING EXAMPLE


Just recently, a very good friend told me of an incident that has left him feeling very angry. In one unmentionable Municiple carpark in Abu Dhabi, a parking 'attendant' had the misfortune to be 'caught' washing a car. He was apprehended by persons unknown to him, punched repeatedly in the face & then taken to the police, where he was arrested. He was informed he would be deported.
.
His crime?
.
Washing a car.
.
.
He was released, after the intervention of a 'friendly' policeman. From what my friend gathered, the deportation 'order' has been dropped. Whether this was a scare tactic by the unknown people who insisted on his arrest, I do not know. What I have been told though, is that the victim earns a paltry Dhs300 per month. Like many, many poorly paid people in the UAE, he subsidises his meagre salary by washing cars. It's an activity normally carried out in the dead of night & in darkened areas.
.
Words fail me, when according to the law, it is illegal to have a dirty car in the UAE. It's also illegal to 'employ' TCN's* to wash your vehicle. The only other option - in order to have a clean car - is to take your vehicle to an ADNOC or similar filling station & then put your vehicle through the automatic car wash. On a good day/night, you might only have to wait an hour in a queue. On a bad day, you can expect to wait anywhere up to 2-3hrs. During that time, you will be incredibly frustrated as other motorists try to get into the filling station, which they can't do, because you & several others will be blocking the entrance. You'll also end up in a queue of cars (waiting to get into the filling station) that ends up blocking the inside lane of traffic on the road in which the filling station is located. Oh.......of course, you'll also have to put up with the arsehole who has double digit numberplates & insists that he's far superior in car & nationality, so that entitles him to push in.
.
I wrote about the subject of car-washing shortly after I started blogging. I was amazed then & I'm nothing short of stunned now. A simple man, trying to earn a few extra bucks, gets the crap kicked out of him & threatened with deportation, just because he washed a car.
.
What next I wonder?

Posted by Jayne :: 01:28 :: 6 Had Somminc To Say

Got Somminc To Say?

---------------oOo---------------