JAYNE WITH A WHY


My life has endured some drastic changes over the past 5yrs. I've moved continents, moved countries, lost my partner in life, lost my dogs, lost the bikes & no doubt about it, lost more than a few marbles along the way. I'm fucked up but valiantly fighting off sanity, which snaps at my heels at regular intervals. I swear a lot. Tell someone who cares.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

NOT AN EASY DECISION

This picture represents Grandma's future. Above, there are two sample containers, holding slides of the biopises taken during her recent surgery. There is a slide (sliver) of the tumour removed from her colon & another, of the lypmph nodes which were also removed. Both - we know & she knows - were tested & found to be malignant.

Grandma had her final stitches out a few days ago. She looks good & feels much better. Her sugeon recommended that she see an oncologist at Al Mafraq hospital. She asked me "why?" & "what for?". I explained in what I thought was the easiest terms, that the oncologist needed to look at the slides of the biopsies, as he would be able to tell if the cancer was contained or not. If it was contained, then it would be really pukka & she could treat herself to a large Klippies*. If it wasn't contained however, then further treatment would be necessary, probably in the form of chemotherapy.

Both Hubs & myself explained the entire situation to her numerous times. Since the last operation, we've both found that she's become increasingly forgetful, so it was essential to us that she fully understood what was happening. This wasn't about a cup of tea she forgot to make ot a TV programme she forgot to watch. This was about her life.

We explained, time & again, over a couple of days.

She fully understands.

Her decision.....................

"Dr Khalid told me he'd taken everything out & I trust him. I don't need to go seeing another doctor. That's my decision. I'm not going."

I tried again, to explain that there's a possibility there is more cancer, which the oncologist could pick up or identify.

"If there's anymore, I'll know about it if it flares up. So, we'll leave it like that, right? Sorted!"


We've gone through the "yes but you won't know one way or the other if you don't see the oncologist" conversations numerous times, but this Little Grey Haired Old Lady has made her mind up, so that's that.

She's opted for what she thinks is best.

It's her life.

Who are we to argue?


*South African Brandy

Posted by Jayne :: 02:15 :: 11 Had Somminc To Say

Got Somminc To Say?

---------------oOo---------------