JAYNE WITH A WHY


My life has endured some drastic changes over the past 5yrs. I've moved continents, moved countries, lost my partner in life, lost my dogs, lost the bikes & no doubt about it, lost more than a few marbles along the way. I'm fucked up but valiantly fighting off sanity, which snaps at my heels at regular intervals. I swear a lot. Tell someone who cares.

Monday, March 06, 2006

SMILE PLEASE

I did my weekly volunteer stint at the rehab centre this morning - nothing unusual in that - except I took my camera with me. I've been mulling over an idea for a few days now............I thought I'd write an article all about the significance of a smile. For anyone who's read my blog in the past, you'll know I get the greatest of pleasure in seeing 'the guys' smile. These men are severely mentally & physically handicapped, they cannot walk or talk, but they sure can smile. So, methinks I'd do an article & take some photos - not of the hospital, or the wards, or the nurses/assistants, but just the smile of each patient. Whilst the music 'therapy' was in full swing, I asked one of the nursing attendants if it would be OK if I took some photos & explained that I just wished to photograph the patients smile - I would protect the privacy of the patient by excluding the rest of his face. The nurse said he didn't see any problem with it, but would have to check with his supervisor. Five minutes later, sed supervisor scuttled into the ward at a rapid rate of knots & told me very hurriedly that I most definitely could NOT take any photos of the patients, moreso because she would get into trouble. (At this point I thought; for what?) She suggested that I speak to the Chief Administrator, because the taking of photographs was strictly forbidden, despite there being a heap on display in the entrance foyer & lining the walls of long hallways.

At the end of the tambourine bashing - ooops - I mean music therapy, I duly sought out the nice lady Chief Administrator. I explained in plain, simple, (non flu infected)pigeon English, what I would like to do................write an article on the significance of a (simple) smile & take some photographs of the lovely smiles I get during the music therapy sessions each week. Shock horror raised painted eyebrows & grimace of multi-shaded lipsticked mouth! Er.....ummm.......no, this was not possible.....because the taking of photographs is forbidden...........(nah, get away!)...........but she will ask her Supervisor.........please follow her.........................along the way, she asked me if I worked at the centre & I told her no (again) & that I was just a volunteer..............oh OK she says.............do you work at all? (I was tempted to say "why, you want to give me a job?" I'm still trying to figure out why me working would affect my request in wanting to take photos?)

Anyway, I followed her shuffle & eventually got to see the 'other' supervisor. I was asked to wait for five minutes, as she was busy, so I said no problem & went & joined other volunteers who were doing their music therapy with handicapped children. Twenty five minutes later, I got to speak to the head honcho & repeated my story yet again....... I'm thinking of writing an article on the significance of a simple smile (the sweat's running down me by now) & would really like to be able to take photographs of the patients smiles - not their whole faces, as I would protect their privacy - just their smiles. She initially told me it would be OK........."you want to take photos of the childrens smiles?" & I replied that no, I would like to take of the men. Shock horror scarf twitch & flick! Instant wide eyes & eyebrows up to her hairline! No no no, this is forbidden............the men...........no..........no..........no.......we have to protect their privacy. At this point I nearly said "No, you just don't want the world to know there are real life physically & mentally handicapped people living in the UAE" but buttoned me lip just in time. I explained yet again, that I would protect the patients privacy because I would only photograph the mouth - the smile - nothing else. No eyes, nose, head, crippled body - just a pure & simple bloody smile I screamed silently to myself! The raised eyebrows returned to earth & the shock horror faded & I'm sure she was churning over the idea that what I wanted to do REALLY wasn't SO bad............but all I got was an apology to say that it was not possible. She has however told me that she will take the matter 'up' (?) so I haven't given up hope totally..........yet!

Can somebody tell me please...............where is the harm in a smile?

Posted by Jayne :: 16:33 :: 3 Had Somminc To Say

Got Somminc To Say?

---------------oOo---------------